SBBWA 2020-2021 Scholarship Awards
The South Bay Business Women’s Association is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide an effective education and mutual support for working women. The SBBWA offers financial help to women through its scholarship program in addition to providing support, encouragement and inspiration through the association’s activities.
Amount of Support: Scholarship amounts and the number of scholarships awarded by the SBBWA is determined annually. Our goal is to offer seven (7) scholarship awards up to $2,000 each based on sponsorship support. The availability of scholarship funds is highly predicated upon the success of our annual Women’s Conference.
Who May Apply: Women who are graduating high school seniors, currently enrolled college freshmen or students continuing with post-graduate work may apply. Candidates must be planning to enroll full-time for the upcoming academic year in a college or a specialized education program. Applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (for high school seniors a weighted average is used).
Applicants must reside in the Greater South Bay area. Specific cities include Carson, El Segundo, Gardena, Harbor City, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Inglewood, Lawndale, Lomita, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, San Pedro, Torrance, Westchester and Wilmington.
Use of Funds: Scholarship checks are issued to the awardee’s educational institution listed on her application. Awardee must show proof of enrollment for the upcoming term. The funds may be designated to cover the cost of tuition, fees and books.
Application Deadline: Applications and transcripts must be received by February 21, 2020. Scholarships are announced in April. Awardees will be recognized at the South Bay Women’s Conference on Friday, May 8, 2020 and scholarships will be awarded at a dinner on Wednesday, June 3, 2020.
Frequency of Application: Applicants may apply each year as long as eligibility criteria are met. Past scholarship awardees are not eligible to reapply.
1. Complete an online SBBWA Scholarship Application. Two links are provided below, one for graduating high school seniors and one for college and graduate students.
2. Have official transcripts of all relevant course work mailed to SBBWA Scholarship Committee, 703 Pier Avenue Suite B359, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254.
3. Two current letters of recommendation; one from an academic source, one from a community service source. Letters may be uploaded with the online application or may be mailed to the Hermosa Beach address if the letter writer prefers.
4. A 500 word essay including pertinent information about background, educational objectives, future goals, etc. The online application includes a space for the essay, along with instructions for content.
5. Financial need is a strong consideration of the scholarship program and financial information is required on the online application. A copy of the applicant’s Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a summary of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), is required to support the financial information submitted.
Questions regarding the Scholarship requirements may be emailed to email@example.com; please include “Scholarship” in the subject line. A member of the Scholarship Committee will reply to all requests for information.
Mail can be sent to:
SBBWA Scholarship Committee
703 Pier Avenue Suite B359
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254